Monday, February 28, 2011

The Feel Good Movie takes the Oscars!

Wow, some great cosmic shift has happened in Hollywood! Wholesome, inspiring feel good movies that people have actually seen have taken the Oscars and the films focused on the social taboos of our society, the "out there" films didn't do so well. What could this mean!



Of course I am doubly thrilled in the fact that I got to see the first public showing ever of this year's Best Picture and Best Original Screenplay, THE KING's SPEECH at the Telluride Film Festival, with Firth, Rush and director Tom Hooper in attendance.
Colin Firth won for Best Actor and Tom Hooper won for Best Director.

INCEPTION, amazingly a movie that a lot of people had actually seen, took most of the technical awards ( Special Effects, Sound Mixing, Sound Editing and Cinematography).

Actually in researching for this post, I have been reminded that there are a few other feel good movies taking the Oscar home and crowd pleasers too! Well not last year's winner...
2009- HURTS LOCKER- didn't see it and don't want to.

My attention and pretty much everyone else was on AVATAR in 2009...

 which only took three technical Oscars home including Best Cinematography. Apparently the movie did not impress the Academy as much as everybody else on the planet.

2008- SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE...

haven't seen it-too many people told me I should and after seeing the way Danny Boyle make a movie (127 Hours) am not motivated. My head hurts to think about it.

2007- NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN...

wish I hadn't seen it! Too much blood, too much violence and not that much story- in my opinion.

2006- THE DEPARTED...

have not seen it, can't think what I was doing in 2006, but want to rent it!

2005 -CRASH...
an ensemble cast with a powerful look at how truly we see and treat others, another winner with a message, what was No Country For Old Men's message?

2004- MILLION DOLLAR BABY...
won't see it, I hate movies that take you on a ride to push a taboo- i.e. euthanasia- same reason I hated The English Patient.

2003- THE LORD OF THE RINGS: RETURN OF THE KING...

A movie that both the public and the Academy loved, kind of like the Kingly winner this year!

2002- CHICAGO...
a Musical! What are the odds!

2001- A BEAUTIFUL MIND...
it is a tossup between this year's winner and ...

2000- GLADIATOR...
 as to which one is my favorite- I think I will have to go with this Roman Thriller that brought us the life and death of the General Maximus Decimus Meridius, played so powerfully by Russell Crowe...

Since I even named my dog after him. ( Max for Short) 

No comments:

Post a Comment